DanQ.me is powered by:
- Bloq, a set of DanQ.me-specific components providing custom functionality (I’ll aim to start open-sourcing them at some point!),
- WordPress, the world’s most-popular open source blogging software, running Q23, a custom theme
- Listmonk, the mailing list manager
Ttitles are set in Merriweather by Sorkin Type. Body text is set in Raleway by Matt McInerney, Pablo Impallari and Rodrigo Fuenzalida.
“Brand” colours are #155a93, #1d6fb4, #95b8b8, and #c5eded.
I’ve not always been consistent in the application of my style guide, but – mostly for my own reference – I keep some notes here to help me do so:
- British English spelling, except when talking about technical topics that require a different dialect (most programming languages use US English spelling for keywords)
- Posts are titled in title case
- Titles of creative works such as the titles of books and films are set in italics
- If in doubt, drop the hyphen, e.g. “email”, “rewatch”, except to improve readability e.g. between double letters (“re-engage”)
- Quotation marks used in UK style (punctuation outside), unless for technical or readability reasons
- Acronyms, especially uncommon ones, marked up with
- No strong opinion on the “Oxford” serial comma; use it or not depending on what reads-best at the time
- Numbers one through twelve usually written longhand, larger numbers usually written in arabic digits, exceptions made to ensure “consistent” usage within a sentence
- Aim for WCAG AA accessibility