Evolving Computer Words: "Broadband"
Dan continues to examine words whose popular meaning have diverged from their technical definition; today, he looks at "broadband".
Evolving Computer Words: "Virus"
Of all the computer words that have diverged from their original meaning, "virus" has perhaps diverged the furthest. Dan explains…
Without The Bod
Dan celebrates his final day at the Bodleian with drinking, games, and rap music.
Dan proposes a more complexity-efficient alternative to the Fisher-Yates shuffling algorithm. And it's silly.
Subscribe by Email
You can now subscribe to a daily digest by email. Never miss a thing!
Retro-PESOSing my Reviews
Dan's reviews, future and historical, can now be found here following his work at IndieWebCamp Oxford 2019.
Dan implements "Cheating Hangman", perhaps the cruellest hangman game you'll ever play.
Dan Q’s been blogging since the 1990s, mostly about his life, technology, programming, relationships, hacking, and games.
He lives in Oxford, UK with his partner and her husband in a polyamorous V-shaped thingy, and their two children. Until he finds something that rhymes better, he describes himself as a magician Automattician on a geoposition-mission.
Get the full experience: read all of Dan’s –
- 1,834 articles: long-form blog posts, since August 1998 (but with some backdated as far as October 1982!)
- 130 notes: short, “tweet-like” posts, since March 2014
- 1,060 reposts: other people’s content you should see, since July 2003
- 750 checkins: geotagged content, typically resulting from Dan’s GPS gaming, since January 2010
- 82 videos: watch them with your eyes here (or, where available, syndicated to YouTube/QTube), since March 2001
- 170 reviews: products, services, and businesses Dan likes (or doesn’t!) since April 2003
- 4 comics: a handful of comics, mostly the few surviving archives from Dan & Alex, since March 2006
- Everything at once: it’ll take about 3.21 days to read all 925,127 words, so pace yourself
- Or subscribe to get updates as-they-happen