Can I use HTTP Basic Auth in URLs?
Dan dives into HTTP Basic Authentication, its history, and how modern browsers support it, with a focus on URL-based credential…
Get Lost on the Web
Dan looks at phallic buildings, researches baby monitors, and gets nostalgic for the diverse Web of yesteryear.
Quickly Solving Jigidi Puzzles
Forced with a digital jigsaw puzzle to unlock the location of a geocache... Dan resorts to hacking.
Heatmapping my Movements
Leveraging a decade of past GPS data, Dan draws heatmaps of his movements around Oxfordshire.
Holidays in the Age of COVID
Dan takes a three-week block off work and does many, many things with his family.
Dan, Ruth, JTA and the kids go to Lichfield and it's great, perhaps mostly because they never get to go…
Can Dan make an even-worse "date of birth" field than those spinner ones?
Dan Q’s been blogging since the 1990s, mostly about his life, technology, programming, relationships, hacking, and games.
He lives in Oxford, UK with his partner and her husband in a polyamorous V-shaped thingy, and their two children. Until he finds something that rhymes better, he describes himself as a magician Automattician on a geoposition-mission.
On this day in 2003...
Tomorrow's the first day of the Fresher's Fayre, and Dan can't sleep.
Get the full experience: read all of Dan’s –
- 1,914 articles: long-form blog posts, since August 1998 (but with some backdated as far as October 1982!)
- 162 notes: short, “tweet-like” posts, since March 2014
- 1,216 reposts: other people’s content you should see, since July 2003
- 885 checkins: geotagged content, typically resulting from Dan’s GNSS gaming, since January 2010
- 96 videos: watch them with your eyes here (or, where available, syndicated to YouTube/QTube), since March 2001
- 170 reviews: products, services, and businesses Dan likes (or doesn’t!) since April 2003
- 5 comics: a handful of comics, mostly the few surviving archives from Dan & Alex, since March 2006
- Everything at once: it’ll take about 3.65 days to read all 1,050,031 words, so pace yourself
- Or subscribe to get updates as-they-happen